Last year, I made the mistake of not keeping track of how many books I read. I hope to not repeat that mistake this year, so my plan for 2016 is to make it official with this post, and to keep updating it as I complete books.
I don’t have a specific number I’m trying to achieve, but I came across a 2016 reading challenge that includes the following categories:
- A book published this year: ON THE EDGE OF GONE (December)
- A book you can finish in a day: DUCK ON A BIKE (June)
- A book you’ve been meaning to read: THE HISTORY of LOVE (January)
- A book recommended by your local librarian or bookseller: NEVERWHERE (March)
- A book you should have read in school: GROWTH HACKER MARKETING (December)
- A book chosen for you by your spouse, partner, sibling, child, or BFF: HARRY POTTER AND THE GOBLET OF FIRE (July)
- A book published before you were born: THE BELL JAR (April)
- A book that was banned at some point: THE ZAHIR (August)
- A book you previously abandoned: THE GIRL WHO KICKED THE HORNET’S NEST (October)
- A book you own but have never read:
- A book that intimidates you: WRITTEN ON THE BODY (January)
- A book you’ve read already at least once:
I love this idea, and I’m already thinking of books on my (ever-growing) TBR list that fit some of the categories. I’m currently halfway through THE HISTORY of LOVE (amazing so far), which will be one that I’ve been meaning to read. [UPDATE Jan. 29: Finished and added to list!] I’m also reading HARRY POTTER AND THE GOBLET OF FIRE with my son, which fits number six. And I think I’ll pick an old favorite, JANE EYRE, for number 12.
I can’t wait to start filling these categories in! What are your reading goals for the year?
UPDATE: I realized I need to add an “other” category because I keep reading books that don’t fit any categories!
OTHER 2016 READS:
SHARP OBJECTS (February)
A GOD IN RUINS (February)
BIG LITTLE LIES (March)
ME BEFORE YOU (March)
THE TIME TRAVELER’S WIFE (May)
DARK PLACES (June)
LUCKIEST GIRL ALIVE (September)
MISS PEREGRINE’S HOME FOR PECULIAR CHILDREN (October)
A MONSTER CALLS (November)
THE CURIOUS INCIDENT OF THE DOG IN THE NIGHT-TIME (December)